The ocean is still treating us well with it’s generously warm waters and good waves!
Today’s podcast featured The Cardiff Kook in Encinitas. His Facebook page is located here. Created by Hemet sculptor Matthew Antichevich under a $92,000 commission from the Cardiff Botanical Society, the sculpture was installed three years ago just outside the San Elijo State Beach campground. Critics immediately blasted it as effeminate, not enough like a surfer — more a ballet dancer than a macho rider of waves. Since its installation in 2007 along Highway 101 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, the statue named “Magic Carpet Ride” by its creator Matthew Antichevich has taken on many faces. Much discussed & maligned, eaten by ‘Jaws’, crowned with a pumpkin head, and dressed as everything from a clown to Zorro – the delight and debate that is the “Cardiff Kook” happily rages on…The Cardiff Kook occupies a prominent piece of real estate near some of the most popular surf breaks along the San Diego coastline. Once erected, both surfers & non-surfers immediately began chiming in over what many agree is a poor representation of the ‘true’ surfer form. Perhaps it’s the limp wrists, arms splayed in a strange manner, ’stink-bug’ stance, or portrayal atop a sputtering spray – instead of an epic wave… The Kook has heard it all, and has since become the target of pranksters far and wide.
What’s Happening in the store:
- Trunk show: Heather from Ewe Ewe Yarns coming soon
- Knitalong: Creature Comforts Cardi – See picture of Joni modeling her finished Cardi, so beautiful!
Other fun events:
- November guild meeting: San Diego North Coast Knitters Guild – Topic was philanthropy, check out their good work here.
- Thank you to Julie for sharing the Old Poway Park yarn bomb project on the podcast!
- Torrance Fiber Festival: Southern California Handweaver’s Guild puts on an amazing annual Weaving and Fiber Festival at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center. It’s a fun one day show with great vendors and wonderful drawings. Always a good time!
- Finishing work for the store
- Looking forward to knitting some shawls out of Anzula’s yarn
- Hat for guild charity
- Scarf pattern from the first book in the Seaside Knitters Mystery series – Death by Cashmere
- Spinning – Pastiche from Capistrano Fiber Arts
Here is our video demonstrating 3 different Styles of Knitting!
Nancy – Knitsurfer
Kelie – Khalila