Nancy has finished the Dude Sweater!
The Knit Surfers have been enjoying the wonderful weather and Nancy visits a new coffee shop in downtown Encinitas.
The Samen Shawl knitalong is finished and Nancy and Kelie both have wonderful shawls to show. They both did a picot bind off which added a little fanciness to the edging.
The Knit Surfers discuss tips for beginner knitters:
- Use a slip knot for a long tail cast on that has the tail yarn pointed towards you, and the yarn going to the ball of the yarn in the back. Here is the video page. Nancy prefers the look of the purl side of the cast on be the right side of the fabric.
- When you get to the end of your bind off, cut the yarn, and pull all the way through the stitch.
- Weaving in ends – Use the seams to conceal the tails, wait until project is finished to weave in tails (unless there are a lot of color changes to be maintained throughout the project). Duplicate the stitches with your tail to blend them into the wrong side changing directions every 3-5 stitches to anchor it down. Weave end in vertically for ribbing by spiraling up one side of the stitches.
- Don’t go off the grid too quickly with beginner projects.
- Use squishy yarns.
- Keep track of your rows with a hanging row counter on your knitting or a paper cheat sheet. Learn how to count your stitches and rows.
- Learn to love the feely swatch! A way to get to know your yarn and invest in your project. Cast on 26 sts, keep 3 sts on each side in garter and the middle 20 stitches stockinette. Here is a link to an in-depth blog post about swatching.
- Use Ravelry to double check your patterns.
Swatch away America!
Nancy – Knitsurfer
Kelie – Khalila